Tuesday 18 March 2014

Oriana in search of the Northern Lights Part II

Well, here we are in Tromso, it's clear blue skies, a recent snow fall and currently -3C. 
I'm currently sitting in the Crows Nest, and I have to say the view is just about perfect, we could have not asked for more.

Since my last blog,the weather picked up again and we experienced 5 metre swells and strong winds, but by mid day yesterday, things had started to calm down.

Yesterday was also our Peninsular Lunch ( regular P&O readers will know what I mean) our table was hosted by Jo, the food and beverage manager, and an excellent host she was too.

We even had a snow flurry whilst at lunch, which added to the ambience of a winter cruise. We were the last to leave the restaurant and so missed the start of the "Captains  ( Richard Camby) interview" with the CD. It was standing room only in the theatre, and the Captain had his audience eating out of his hand. He is an excellent Captain, and very sociable.
The show last night by the headliners was "Killer Queen" a show we had seen many times before, but well worth seeing again.
I had said to Sue, that I wanted to get up earlier than my normal 0730 today, which for me is late anyway, as I wanted to get up on deck for the sail in.
But as always, the best laid plans of mice and men meant that I awoke at 0845, so it was a quick Danish pastry and a cup of coffee in Tiffany's for breakfast.
We had already booked a couple of shore excursions before we left, but having watched the port presentation, and seen the photos of "Cruise Miss", of the Ice  Hotel, we went to the excursions desk, and booked a tour for tomorrow.

Then, after a quick return to the cabin to add quite a few layers of clothing and get the camera, it was up to the prom deck to watch the sail in.
There is only one word to describe the sail in, and that is "stunning", it is a real "must do", so if this cruise is not on your bucket list, you really should add it now.
For all the sail inxs, on all of our cruises, I have never seen the deck so crowded.
I will add a few photos below, but they really do not do it justice.





The temperature is forecast to drop to -17C this evening, just in time for our Husky Dog sledge ride, can't wait !!!!
All being well , I will have some photos to share with you in the next blog




No comments:

Post a Comment